Saturday, March 13, 2010

I made this bag, and you can too!

I'm blogging about this even though Amanda exposed me as a fan girl in her posting about this.

Grandma Great was here visiting us in January and February, and while she was here I made her a bag. I was testing this super cute pattern for Amanda.




And here's the one I made

A few things to mention, other than that Amanda exceeds my skills at both photography and sewing.


The original bag has cute straps crisscrossing the short width of the bottom, in addition to the main shoulder strap and strap around the length of the bottom.  I left those off because Grandma wanted a more structured bag so I put in mucho interfacing.

The bottom of her bag looks like this

It was simple to add the interfacing and then choose to leave off the straps.The type of interfacing you choose can move this from an adorable slouchy bag to a more traditional structured bag really easily.

Also note that the choice of fabric makes it appropriate for just about anyone. Grandma chose this more traditional, conservative print. I could see it being cute in a lot of different colors and fabrics.

It was a nice weekend project. You have to draft the pattern, but it's not difficult at all. As an advanced beginner, maybe intermediate sewer it was just challenging enough for me. It took about 5-6 hours to complete it.

You can read more about the bag and possibly win your very own free copy of the pattern here.

If you're not lucky enough to win the pattern then it should be for sale soon in Kitschy Coo's shop. And the other patterns there are nifty, too.

 

2 comments:

Kitschy Coo said...

Thanks for the shout out :)

auntninn said...

For what it's worth. I think you're the only one reading my blog. :)