Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Good things come in UPS packages

As he so often does, the UPS man made my day yesterday. My package from fabric.com came just as we got home from the gym last night.

This fabulous little bundle of happy has the fabric for my final skirt for the sew along  as well as some knits for the second project. I'll keep them under wraps for now, since I like to have things to talk about in reserve. But they include some cheap but pretty knits for "practice" and three knits about which I am having vague ruminations involving some mommy/daughter outfit combo. 

I'm much more excited about the second project. Let's see if my enthusiasm wanes once the reality of sewing knits sets in. I've only done one project with knits (Rylee's mouse costume) and it wasn't pretty. But it was also pre-serger so I'm hopeful it will go better.

First things first, though. The package also included this pretty plaid....
... and some blackout lining. I'm going to try once again to convince Rylee to sleep until at LEAST 7 AM. This is something she's done fewer than two dozen times in her near two years on earth. Here's hoping blocking the morning light will help me squeeze another 30 minutes or so.

The lining fabric is poly/cotton, but has some kind of plastic coating. Should be interesting. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Kitschy Coo said...

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your fabric, the curtain fabric is very pretty. We have found that blackout has helped...

I think you will find knits much easier with a serger!

Mary said...

Enjoy your mother-daughter outfits while you can. They go through a phase of several years where that idea is anathema.
I love my serger, and sewing knits with it is SO much easier. For that matter, even when sewing wovens I try to make my patterns work on the serger. (Guess I really ought to clean my sewing machine so it works well.)
Miriam is the only one without blackout curtains at this point. I was waking up in the middle of the night with the full moon, so I made dark curtains for our windows.
Have fun!

auntninn said...

She was up at 5:45 this morning, so I'm really hoping this works. Since she's currently hitting me on the leg I think she needs more sleep than that.