Saturday, March 20, 2010

Final Skirt and the Front of the Camera

It's skirt due day! And like a good girl, I was finished ahead of time. And as promised, I got Eric to take some pictures.

So, in the words of my darling daughter....

DA!

My final skirt fabric is an Amy Butler twill. I love, love, love the soft colors. When I picked it out I figured I would have to make a top to match, but because I am old and set in my ways and kind of boring and always pick the same things have a unified style aesthetic, it turns out I already had a top to match. Woot!

I used a 9" sweep and finished the waistline with pre-made bias tape. I finished two muslins previously to practice the bias finish and the invisible zipper so of course screwed this one up. But not so badly that I couldn't fix it without re-cutting the darn thing.

I haven't been shopping much since changing from a working wardrobe in a warm/temperate climate to stay-at-home mommy in a hot climate. I'm so pleased to have something pretty, lightweight and in soft spring/summer colors. 

Here I am smoldering in it.

Yeah, baby. I totally do NOT spend my day covered in cracker crumbs and sour milk.

Weirdly sunspotted side view.

And to honor the intention of getting in front of the camera here are some action shots of it. These also reminded me of another reason there aren't a lot of pictures of me. See if you can spot it.

I'm glad to have these pictures of me and Rylee so she can look back and say....

I always knew mommy would have my back in the case of blurry, partial decapitation


And that her legs and hands would be there to encourage me to take risks...


...and catch me if I fall

And just hold me when I'm bored and staring at daddy.

These are a start. I'm going to try to get pictures of myself with Rylee at least once a month. It might sound silly, but it was really hard to take these and put them up. Without makeup or anything. Shreeeeek! 

To whit, this supposed-to-be-casual, easy, breezy front view  picture took about 20 minutes of moving around the backyard and five of hand wringing about how to keep my arms from looking like gingerbread man arms.


I guess I'll leave bored super model posing to the lovely next generation.


And yes. I took that last one...

10 comments:

KID, MD said...

Very cute!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Your skirt is fabulous and you look great! I overcame my body-phobia a while back and actually posted a swimsuit edition on my blog with various suits showing why I wouldn't wear them in public (the internet's not public?). My husband was horrified but my friends agreed we all have cellulite and life's too short to worry about it.

Kitschy Coo said...

Oh, Lynn, I love it! It looks fab and so you do modelling it :) I hope you keep up the pictures with Rylee, I find the keys is to take hundreds so you can weed out the ones you don't like!

auntninn said...

Thanks everyone! It really helps to have some girls cheering me on in this photo excursion. And thanks for the comments on the skirt, too. It's the prettiest thing I own right now I think.

@Amanda, I'll tell Eric he has to take hundreds and see how it goes. He was pretty patient yesterday, but I might need to work on him a little bit more. :)

Pickled Weasel said...

It's so pretty! I am envious of your sunshine...and I never know what to do with my arms in photos either :)

auntninn said...

@PW - Thanks! We finally have sunshine. I know I shouldn't complain with all the people who still have snow, but we *did* move here for sun. And Tucson was weirdly dreary all winter/early Spring.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Are you Lynn too? Well I gave you an award over at my blog that you can copy and put on yours, and that means all the people who read those other people's blogs will be coming by, so have fun!

Daisie said...

I have just come from Amamnda's big skirty blog post and am quite alarmed to find that there is only you and I (apart from our great leader) who has a head! I hate the photo-of-me thing too, usually, as with my skirt pic it was taken by someone who really couldn't spend the time away from her colouring and is only just over three foot tall. She only took one hence scared expression and three thousand chins!! I tried to take some but then realised that there is a big smear on my mirror so they're not good either. Lets just love our skirts and not worry too much about the 'styling'.

Nice to meet you, will be back again!

xxx

Daisie said...

PS: My middle name is Lynn, spooky?

auntninn said...

Daisie, I think your picture is cute! Your child did at least as well as my husband, and he had multiple tries.

And I hear Lynn as a middle name all the time. My niece's middle name is Lynn and when she was about three she came to me with this revelation. "Aunt Lynn, your name is AUNT Lynn and my name is NICOLE Lynn" Same middle name! :)