Friday, May 21, 2010

Getting on with it

After Wednesday's whine I looked over a bunch of patterns to try to decide what to make for Rylee's birthday. I spent one hour doing this and did not arrive at a decision. More of the same.

So I decided today was the day to get back on the horse, one way or another. I was determined to sew something, anything.  And it ended up being this:


It's vegbee's peasant top lengthened to a dress with Kitschy Coo's double elastic neckline modification. Because coming up with my own ideas or - heaven forbid - following a big-four pattern was beyond my capability.

Rylee cooperated by taking a decent two-hour nap. The downside is I did the length and the neckline by guessing. It was about 3" too long and too big through the chest and neck. I shortened it and took in the elastic a little bit. It's still too big but I've been wanting a simple shift to pull over her when we come in from swimming. There's usually only an hour before her bath and it's a pain to get her dressed all over again. It works for that.

I made a few changes and sewed up another one. This time I didn't finish the neckline (duh!) and I'll try it on her tomorrow.

Hoping this is the boot to the behind I needed. And besides, a busy mommy needs something comfy.


2 comments:

KID, MD said...

She's so cute! The dress looks perfect. Cute but still comfy enough to run around.

Mary said...

She's adorable! Good for you getting over the block. Wish I could get away with something like this.

I haven't gotten anything sewing related done lately, not even blogging the finished projects, except I did make some progress in organizing my sewing room. Couldn't have anything to do with the next two projects being 1)stuffing the body doubles MY daughter & I made, and 2) Tudor garb for Renn Faires, could it?

Wait, there IS something simple like Rylee's dress! (The shift/underdress) Just nowhere near as cute!